May 24, 2007

The Golden Compass

One of my favorite fantasy series of all time, Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials, debuts in December as a Major Motion Picture, with what looks on paper at least to be a great cast. The movie is titled The Golden Compass, which suggests (I hope) three separate films following the three books in the trilogy. Based in part on Paradise Lost by John Milton, His Dark Materials is easily one of the most theologically complex young adult novels ever written (though I suspect the film will accent the action and not the theology). Fans of Angel Sanctuary and Constantine--and religiously "transgressive" fiction in general--should definitely check it out.

Labels: , ,

Comments
# posted by Blogger WM
7/03/2007 7:35 AM   
I loved The Golden Compass. But count me as one of those who was turned off by the heavy-handedness of the third book. I'm not anti-transgressive -- it's just that I found it to be sooo blatant and a little to pat in the end.